Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of `aset' on strings, `store-substring'
From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 23:30:29 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

See attached patch:

* doc/lispref/strings.texi (Modifying Strings): `aref` and
`store-substring` automatically convert the string to multibyte if
necessary, and support characters with different sized encodings.
From 64c0d992e4ca5b820a87b6bcd3efc60cf266d2a4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 23:25:11 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of `aset' on strings, `store-substring'

* doc/lispref/strings.texi (Modifying Strings): `aref` and
`store-substring` automatically convert the string to multibyte if
necessary, and support characters with different sized encodings.
---
 doc/lispref/strings.texi | 12 ++++++------
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/strings.texi b/doc/lispref/strings.texi
index 413e17750e..82bed43e4e 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/strings.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/strings.texi
@@ -466,9 +466,11 @@ Modifying Strings
   The most basic way to alter the contents of an existing string is with
 @code{aset} (@pxref{Array Functions}).  @code{(aset @var{string}
 @var{idx} @var{char})} stores @var{char} into @var{string} at index
-@var{idx}.  Each character occupies one or more bytes, and if @var{char}
-needs a different number of bytes from the character already present at
-that index, @code{aset} signals an error.
+@var{idx}.  Unibyte strings are converted to multibyte if necessary
+(@pxref{Text Representations}).  If the size of the internal encoding
+of @var{char} differs from that of the character already present at
+@var{idx}, the string's representation is adjusted to accommodate the
+change.
 
   A more powerful function is @code{store-substring}:
 
@@ -478,9 +480,7 @@ Modifying Strings
 may be either a character or a (smaller) string.
 
 Since it is impossible to change the length of an existing string, it is
-an error if @var{obj} doesn't fit within @var{string}'s actual length,
-or if any new character requires a different number of bytes from the
-character currently present at that point in @var{string}.
+an error if @var{obj} doesn't fit within @var{string}'s actual length.
 @end defun
 
   To clear out a string that contained a password, use
-- 
2.36.1