Subject: 29.0.50; ERC launches autojoin-channels in current frame instead of original frame
From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 18:36:37 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This could be considered a feature request. Because I have not used
Emacs in this way before, so I don’t know what was the behaviour
earlier. Here is what happens,

1. emacs -Q

2. C-x 5 2

3. (setq erc-autojoin-channels-alist '(("libera.chat" "#emacs" "#erc" "#gnus")))

4. M-x erc-tls ; with following parameters - (irc.libera.chat, 6697,
   nickname, password)

5. While it is connecting to the server, switch to the other frame to
   work on other stuff

Result: After the ERC connects to the server, it opens the autojoin
channels in the current frame. Ideally, it should open the channels in
the (dedicated) original frame where ERC was launched.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-05-20 built on anant
Repository revision: 8a7d8bb04b38ba9849b60d63c9fcfd36856eb424
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/pankaj/.local --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220514.945/transient hides /home/pankaj/.local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow misearch multi-isearch cl-print debug backtrace emacsbug tabify
org-capture org-refile gnus-html help-fns url-cache mailalias smtpmail
flyspell ispell sort smiley gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async gnus-ml nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache .gnus network-stream nsm epa-file
erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-loaddefs autoload radix-tree gnus-dired diary-lib
diary-loaddefs rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok sql view yaml-mode markdown-mode bug-reference conf-mode ol-eww
eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range
ol-docview doc-view image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi sh-script smie executable linum prettier-js js checkdoc
mule-util jka-compr vc-git company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company display-line-numbers elec-pair
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch init
my-init org-element avl-tree org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-plantuml ob-sql ob-css
ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-python python ob-R ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs sesman vc
vc-dispatcher clojure-mode lisp-mnt align editorconfig tree-sitter-langs
tree-sitter-langs-build tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode tree-sitter-hl
tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get
dired-aux tsc-obsolete haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support noutline outline
flymake-proc flymake warnings dabbrev haskell-customize go-mode
find-file ffap thingatpt etags fileloop generator gtags-mode xref
project which-key vterm magit-bookmark bookmark tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp wid-edit files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp face-remap compile color term disp-table
ehelp find-func vterm-module term/xterm xterm magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ring
server ansi-color magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec crm dash compat-27 compat-26 compat
exec-path-from-shell bbdb-message message sendmail yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader bbdb bbdb-site
timezone edmacro kmacro modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase delight
cl-extra help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core hl-line savehist desktop frameset avoid cus-load
finder-inf tex-site info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1240114 103092)
 (symbols 48 56131 26)
 (strings 32 244386 16200)
 (string-bytes 1 7269795)
 (vectors 16 129263)
 (vector-slots 8 2491781 350503)
 (floats 8 663 283)
 (intervals 56 6777 125)
 (buffers 992 118))