Subject: failed to compute the derivation for Guix
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:04:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Guix community,

I was trying to install guix package manager on a "foreign distribution",
in particular Ubuntu 20.04 under WSL2 (Windows).

WSL is not a normal linux distribution (the kernel and the init file are
shipped by Microsoft), but despite this I was able to complete the setup
using the script on guix website. The deamon must be started manually, but
this is a minor issue.
The issue comes when I try to execute "guix pull" (both from standard user
and root).  compute-guix-derivation fails complaining for a bug...
Here below the output to terminal

user@PP423:~$ guix pull
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix install glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 6b588da (18,157 new
commits)...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   6b588da
 glibc-2.33  8.2MiB

 1.8MiB/s 00:05 [##################] 100.0%
 bash-minimal-5.1.8  569KiB

 3.9MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 gcc-10.3.0-lib  4.6MiB

  96KiB/s 00:49 [##################] 100.0%
 bash-minimal-5.1.8  570KiB

 1.5MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 bzip2-1.0.8  55KiB

 140.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 expat-2.4.1  97KiB

 276KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 gmp-6.2.1  571KiB

  2.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 http-parser-2.9.4-1.ec8b5ee  18KiB

 170KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libffi-3.3  51KiB

  246KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libgc-8.0.4  214KiB

  1.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libgpg-error-1.42  213KiB

  1.5MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libtasn1-4.17.0  102KiB

  331KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libgcrypt-1.8.8  499KiB

  1.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libunistring-0.9.10  492KiB

  1.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 ncurses-6.2.20210619  634KiB

 1.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libidn2-2.3.1  138KiB

343.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 nettle-3.7.3  369KiB

 1.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 nghttp2-1.44.0-lib  92KiB

  761KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 openssl-1.1.1l  1.8MiB

 3.1MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 p11-kit-0.23.22  433KiB

 1.42GiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 mit-krb5-1.19.2  1.0MiB

  7.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 pkg-config-0.29.2  187KiB

  965KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 readline-8.1.1  409KiB

 788KiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 guile-3.0.7  6.9MiB

  4.9MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 zlib-1.2.11  77KiB

 171KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 gnutls-3.7.2  1.8MiB

13.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libssh-0.9.6  237KiB

 1.6MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 curl-7.79.1  377KiB

  1.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 gnutls-3.7.2-debug  4.4MiB

 3.8MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 git-minimal-2.36.0  4.2MiB

 3.9MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 guile-ssh-0.15.1  213KiB

 1.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libssh2-1.9.0  220KiB

  1.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 guile-ssh-0.15.1-debug  238KiB

 817KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 pcre2-10.37  1.1MiB

  5.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 libgit2-1.3.0  624KiB

  3.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 guile-git-0.5.2  416KiB

   12KiB/s 00:36 [##################] 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
 graphviz-2.49.0-doc  2.0MiB

 2.88GiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 binutils-2.37  5.0MiB

   92KiB/s 00:56 [##################] 100.0%
 bzip2-1.0.8  55KiB

 108KiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
 coreutils-8.32  2.4MiB

 4.9MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 coreutils-minimal-8.32  2.6MiB

 1.3MiB/s 00:02 [##################] 100.0%
 file-5.39  279KiB

  908KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 font-dejavu-2.37  2.3MiB

14.5MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 fribidi-1.0.9  75KiB

 685KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 gdbm-1.20  191KiB

  891KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 glibc-2.33-static  1.4MiB

  6.6MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 glibc-utf8-locales-2.33  808KiB

  8.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 graphite2-1.3.13  97KiB

  873KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
 grep-3.6  245KiB

  16KiB/s 00:15 [##################] 100.0%
 icu4c-69.1  10.5MiB

  116KiB/s 00:58 [###########       ]  62.2%Backtrace:
          16 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/lfjnz6id1jaizirca0hysrnsz5ab87h6-compute-guix-derivation")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    155:9 15 (_ _)
    159:9 14 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-u?> ?)
?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    152:2 13 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
    152:2 12 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  2129:24 11 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6428db280> _
#:guile-for-build _ #:system _ #:target _)
   1966:8 10 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   300:22  9 (_ _)
   1181:2  8 (_ _)
   1047:2  7 (_ _)
    893:4  6 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  2014:12  5 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6447a0460>)
  1410:13  4 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6447a0460>
#<procedure 7fc64082f180 at ./guix/stor?> ?)
   1406:5  3 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6447a0460>
#<procedure 7fc629da8f20 at ./guix/stor?> ?)
  1421:15  2 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6447a0460> _ _)
   733:11  1 (process-stderr #<store-connection 256.99 7fc6447a0460> _)
In ./guix/serialization.scm:
     80:6  0 (read-int #<input-output: file 10>)

./guix/serialization.scm:80:6: In procedure read-int:
ERROR:
  1. &nar-error:
      file: #f
      port: #<input-output: file 10>
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/lfjnz6id1jaizirca0hysrnsz5ab87h6-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"6b588da368c77cde82ea2f22ca315116228777ad"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "1.3.0"; pull-version: 1).