Subject: fortune-mod propagates various non-nice things
From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 15:09:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi guix,

fortune-mod currently propagates (in the non-technical sense) various
non-nice things like objectification, misogeny, religious intolerance,
anti-mathematician-ism (?) and date rape.  That is not an exhaustive
list, these are just the first few things I encountered with "fortune
off".

To reproduce the issue, run "fortune off" a few times.  Or just
"fortune", though then it can take a bit longer.

There are also a few non-nice things in the non-off set.  E.g.:

$ fortune
> User n.:
>	A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.
# ^ from 'definitions'

As such, just removing 'off' doesn't seem sufficient.  Unless Someone™
volunteers to remove the anti-fortunes (*), I would just remove
'fortune-mod', given that it seems to serve no practical purpose byond
being non-nice.  WDYT?

(*) Fortunes don't have to be positive, but that doesn't mean they need
to be sexist (genderist?) or insulting either (e.g.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie#/media/File:Negative_fortune_cookie.jpg).
Hence, anti-fortunes instead of fortunes.

Greeting,
Maxime