Subject: Re: [bug#54580] [PATCH staging?] gnu: mrustc: Update to 0.10.
From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 23:12:15 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 02:16:06PM +0000, Pierre Langlois wrote:
>> 
>> Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>> > Hi Guix!
>> >
>> > Good news everyone, I managed to get a aarch64 build of Rust by updating
>> > mrustc to 0.10!  Sadly, i686 is still unsupported, due to the build
>> > using too much memory, it must be the same for other 32-bit architectures.
>> >
>> > I tested this on a pinebookpro which only has 4G of RAM, I had to attach
>> > 16G of swap for the initial [email-masked] build to succeed, then the whole
>> > rust chain took about 5 days!  I also tested on my x86_64 desktop.
>> >
>> > Here's the patch! After it we should be able to follow-up and enable
>> > Gnome and friends.
>> >
>> > That being said, I wasn't entirely sure where this patch should go,
>> > ideally it would be good to have a staging branch rather than
>> > core-updates, WDYT?  Maybe we can do this along with a rust version
>> > update?
>> >
>> > PS: I also tried to build rust 1.54 with the new mrustc update, to
>> > shorten the chain, but I've not had any successes with it yet.
>> >
>
> Go ahead and push it to staging. I have high on my TODO list to get it
> working with 1.54.

Oh cool I see you've pushed it already, thanks! Closing.