Subject: libtool-2.4.7 released [stable]
From: Alex Ameen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 23:51:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Howdy, Libtoolers!

After a long hiatus, the Libtool Team is pleased to announce the release of
libtool 2.4.7.

GNU Libtool hides the complexity of using shared libraries behind a
consistent, portable interface. GNU Libtool ships with GNU libltdl, which
hides the complexity of loading dynamic runtime libraries (modules)
behind a consistent, portable interface.

Here are the compressed sources:
   https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/libtool/libtool-2.4.7.tar.gz   (1.9MB)
   https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/libtool/libtool-2.4.7.tar.xz   (996KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
   https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/libtool/libtool-2.4.7.tar.gz.sig
   https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/libtool/libtool-2.4.7.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
   https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Here are the SHA1 and SHA256 checksums:

d3f2d5399f4bf5cbd974b812ebaca28d6492ca65  libtool-2.4.7.tar.gz
BOlsJATqcMWQxUbrpCAqThJyLGQAFsErmy8c49SB6ag  libtool-2.4.7.tar.gz
0c90f1b046ea9cd7b32a4b5a6a9df4b46ddb637a  libtool-2.4.7.tar.xz
T38hfwV85lX/IlWa0iGg/Y74StH8X8tpkM7MMzqhY10  libtool-2.4.7.tar.xz

The SHA256 checksum is base64 encoded, instead of the
hexadecimal encoding that most checksum tools default to.

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

   gpg --verify libtool-2.4.7.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

   gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 6EAC957F8EEB55C0

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
   Autoconf 2.69
   Automake 1.16.3
   Gnulib a5218207e5

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.4.7 (2022-03-16) [stable]

** New features:

   - Libtool script now supports (configure-time and runtime) ARFLAGS
     variable, which obsoletes AR_FLAGS.  This is due to naming conventions
     among other *FLAGS and to be consistent with Automake's ARFLAGS.

   - Gnulib testsuite is enabled and run during 'make check'.

   - Support the Windows version of the Intel C Compiler (icl) in
     libtool script.

   - Pass '-fsanitize=*' flags for GCC and LLVM, and '-specs=*' for GCC
     to linker.

   - Pass '-Xassembler=*' and '-Wa,*' flag to compilers and linkers.

   - The variable 'FILECMD' with default value of '/usr/bin/file' was 
used to
     replace existing hard coded references to '/usr/bin/file'.

   - Add MidnightBSD support.

** Important incompatible changes:

   - Libtool changed ARFLAGS/AR_FLAGS default from 'cru' to 'cr'.

   - Do not pass '-pthread' to Solaris linker.

   - 'libtool' and 'libtoolize' scripts now use '#! /usr/bin/env sh' 
shebang.
     Previously '#! /bin/sh' was used, which presents challenges for
     containerized environments.

** Bug fixes:

   - Fix significant slowdown of libtoolize for certain projects (regression
     introduced in 2.4.3 release) caused by infinite m4 macro recursion.

   - Mitigate the slowdown of libtool script (introduced in v2.4.3) 
caused by
     increased number of calls to '$SED $sed_quote_subst' (bug#20006).

   - Properly parse and export TLS symbols on AIX.

   - Various bug fixes surrounding use of 'sed'.

   - Darwin systems set proper "allow undefined" flag on OSX 11, and
     PowerPC 10.5.

   - Removed some deprecated tests related to 'Makefile.inc' files.

Enjoy!