Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Add 'guix manifest' to "translate" commands to manifests
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 22:50:15 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

Writing manifests can be intimidating: in part because it’s not
well documented, and in part because it’s always hard to start from
a blank page.

We have ‘guix package --export-manifest’ to help with that, but I
realized that colleagues of mine often use ‘guix shell’ more than
‘guix package’, and ‘--export-manifest’ is awkward to use:

  $ guix shell a b c d --transform=whatever=else
  [env]$ guix package --export-manifest -p $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT

I figured that instead of documenting this, we might as well provide
a command that does it in one go:

  guix manifest a b c d --transform=whatever=else > manifest.scm

Voilà!

Thoughts?

Next up: adding a “Writing Manifests” section.

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  packages: Add 'package-unique-version-prefix'.
  Add 'guix manifest'.

 Makefile.am               |   2 +
 doc/guix.texi             | 146 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 gnu/packages.scm          |  21 +++++
 guix/scripts/manifest.scm | 174 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/scripts/package.scm  |  20 +----
 po/guix/POTFILES.in       |   1 +
 tests/guix-manifest.sh    |  76 +++++++++++++++++
 tests/packages.scm        |  13 +++
 8 files changed, 434 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/manifest.scm
 create mode 100644 tests/guix-manifest.sh

base-commit: 857e5ab22292fe7c2ba5b9855c0829a2ef942d38
-- 
2.34.0