Subject: 29.0.50; ibus input method of chinese with rime engine can't work in v27 and ibus candidate menu blink in v29
From: 江 暇疆 <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 14:30:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--text follows this line--

hi,
sorry for my English is not good, if you found any strange words and grammar.
I am using ibus and rime engine as chinese input method in gnome 41.3 of Linux
5.16.3-arch1-1 x86_64, xwayland.
i found ibus can't show any input candidate menu in emacs,
after reinstall system got emacs from   pacman -S emacs,
but work fine in other application such as gnome-shell, firefox.

after searched in www,
i tried these method to solved problem:
 a.
   export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
   export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
   export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
   export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
   cp /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/gtk.immodules.cache
   ibus-daemon -d -x

   # it  can't work.

 b.
   i found a site say to use "lsof" checking if 'im-ibus.so' is called  for emacs,
   then i use follow command:
      emacs -q
      ps -aux | grep emacs
      lsof -p PID | grep im-ibus.so
     -> grep found nothing.  in emacs -q , it can't input chinese.

   so, i go to download src from https://github.com/emacs-mirror,
   after the command  make   is done,
   i tried these command:
       ./src/emacs -q
       ps -aux | grep emacs
       lsof -p PID  | grep 'im-ibus.so'
   -> emacs PID  kevin  mem       REG              259,3    34688 1847459 /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so
    -> 'im-ibus.so' it is there. and i can type chinese in emacs -q v29.

   i also tried to build:  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-27.2.tar.xz
   with emacs -q, it can't input chinese using ibus,
    and found nothing when use command:
        lsof -p PID  | grep 'im-ibus.so'.

but there still with two problem
 (1). i found the menu is moved with cursor blink,
    this short video is show what i say:
   (
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ynnH5Zvv3C87JMqXumNFhwobgjiP3sC/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16ghBGnQT8i03M3vxg456ZjyAAZMs665o/view?usp=sharing

   one is no candidate word menu occur, in emacs 27 when swiched to ibus on and input.
   another video is about the menu blink.
   )

 (2). since emacs 26, when i run ibus -rx ,
      ibus only malfunction in emacs ,
      in other like firefox work as normal.
      so i have to restart emacs to make ibus re-active in emacs.

could you hint me how to solved (1) mainly?
because there are packages or configs in emacs 29 can't work
and the ibus menu blink when i type words in emacs 29 continuously using ibus-rime.
(normaly, it should just move one time by next char, not continuously
blink position when typing)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-02-01 built on lpc
Repository revision: dbf08491a5a45d88048082ba6ece1b61bdbc622b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: zh_TW.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: zh_TW.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: zh_TW.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow gnutls network-stream nsm mailalias smtpmail textsec uni-scripts
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap
yank-media rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 170868 15092)
 (symbols 48 7047 5)
 (strings 32 32654 2035)
 (string-bytes 1 703348)
 (vectors 16 36435)
 (vector-slots 8 538966 44585)
 (floats 8 30 144)
 (intervals 56 678 0)
 (buffers 992 16))