Subject: Re: bug#53672: [PATCH] guix system: 'describe' shows the running system, not the current one.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 18:13:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

宋文武 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Sound good to me!  Well, I think "current" and "running" are the same
> thing, I'd call the 'profiles/system' one "latest", so my understand is:
>
> 1. /run/booted-system: the system generation booted by bootloader.
>
> 2. /run/current-system: the system generation current running, same as
>    booted until we do a system 'reconfigure' or 'roll-back'.
>
> 3. /var/guix/profiles/system: always point to the latest system-*-link,
>    the default one in the bootloader, changed by a system 'reconfigure'
>    or 'roll-back'.
>
> Please correct me if it's wrong, thank you!

You’re right, except for #3: if you do ‘guix system roll-back’ and
reboot, then /var/guix/profiles/system points to a generation that’s not
the latest system-*-link but that is the currently running one.

It sounds super confusing but it’s quite intuitive I think (I hope?).

Applied now, thanks for taking a look!

Ludo’.