Subject: 27.2; multi-hop TRAMP with find-file-visit-truename t
From: Aleksei Fedotov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 22:23:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've spotted a problem with TRAMP when using multi-hop ssh with
find-file-visit-truename set to t.

Assuming that there is a remote machine XXX.YYY.com with SSH server. On local
machine I run emacs like that:

> emacs -Q --eval '(progn \
>       (require (quote tramp)) \
>       (setq find-file-visit-truename t) \
>       (with-current-buffer (find-file "/ssh:[email-masked]|ssh:localhost:") \
>       (tramp-cleanup-all-connections) \
>       (revert-buffer)))'

It successfully connects to the remote machine and opens dired buffer with the
correct content, but the filename name in the dired header is not
'/ssh:XXX.YYYY.com|ssh:localhost:' as I might expect, but
'/ssh:localhost:/root:'. After (revert-buffer) I get an error in *Messages*:

> tramp-handle-access-file: Reading directory: No such file or directory /ssh:localhost:/root/

The issue does not reproduce if find-file-visit-truename set to nil. It looks like 'file-truename' doesn't work correctly with multi-hop tramp file names.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-08-07 built on buildvm-x86-31.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Fedora Linux 35 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘XXX.YYY.com’
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh    -e none localhost’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘localhost’
Tramp: Opening connection for localhost using ssh...done
Tramp: Opening connection for localhost using ssh...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh    -e none localhost’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘localhost’
Tramp: Opening connection for localhost using ssh...done
tramp-handle-access-file: Reading directory: No such file or directory /ssh:localhost:/root/
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
 --with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp-cmds dired dired-loaddefs tramp-sh
tramp-cache tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67308 9233)
 (symbols 48 8131 1)
 (strings 32 24241 1892)
 (string-bytes 1 868840)
 (vectors 16 14042)
 (vector-slots 8 184813 11864)
 (floats 8 40 21)
 (intervals 56 271 0)
 (buffers 1000 13))

-- 
Aleksei