Subject: Re: bug#52945: 29.0.50; Recursive load of uni-special-lowercase.el
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 02:26:19 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> There's some strange problem with this file: when building Emacs after
> it is updated, byte-compilation of various Lisp files fails with error
> message like this:

Indeed I can reproduce it with:

    make
    touch lisp/international/{ucs-normalize,charprop,uni-special-lowercase}.el
    make

It seems it is newly introduced by the symbol-shorthands
code, which apparently uses just enough more of the `hack-local-variables`
machinery to trigger it.

Not sure what's the best fix for it, but I installed a patch into
`emacs-28` which seems to work around the problem.
Maybe we should drop the lazy loading feature of lisp/international/uni-*
since those files end up preloaded anyway.

        Stefan