Subject: Re: bug#52298: 29.0.50; Frequent redisplay cycles induced by c-type-finder-timer-func timer in CC Mode
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:38:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 19:05:45 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 11:15:34 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[ .... ]

> > (Sorry, but I like CC Mode less and less with every Emacs release, due
> > to changes like this one.)

> This particular feature simply hasn't worked out well.  If the
> background scanning were to complete in a few seconds, it wouldn't be
> too bad.  But nearly two minutes on a modern (well, 4½ yo) machine for
> just one buffer, with the annoyance of the "stuttering", is not worth
> the gain.

> What we have is effectively the entire buffer getting half-fontified in
> the background.  That's not what JIT fontification is supposed to be
> about.

> So, in the next few days sometime, I will revert most of this change.  A
> useful and harmless piece of it (fontifying a newly found type
> throughout the buffer when it is encountered in "normal" jit
> fontification), I plan to leave in.  That will get rid of that timer and
> all the background scanning it triggered.

I've removed this feature as promised last Sunday, and I'm sure the
problem with the "stuttering" is now gone.  So I'm closing the bug with
this post.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).