Subject: Re: bug#51989: [PATCH 00/12] Add aws-vault and missing dependent packages
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: "Collin J. Doering" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 18:24:40 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Collin,

I’ve applied the second version of this patch set that you sent on
Monday.  I fixed a couple of version strings that still had the “v”
prefix and tweaked synopses/descriptions following these guidelines:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html

"Collin J. Doering" <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>>   2. As you go, could you pass them to:
>> ./pre-inst-env guix style PKG
>> ?
>>
>
> I actually had issues doing this. The above command would
> segfault. After running the `clean` and `clean-go` make targets, it
> would no longer segfault, but would then complain about ABI
> compatibility. I didn't debug further instead ran the
> `etc/indent-code.el` source file, commiting as necessary. However, I
> did find that after rebasing my changes onto the tip of master, the
> `guix style` command started to work as expected.
>
> Another note: I use emacs and did load the `.dir-locals.el` file when
> making these changes, so I would have expected formatting to be fine
> already. Must be something on my end that is affecting auto-formatting
> in emacs.

With ‘.dir-locals.el’, I expect Emacs should do the right thing.

However, what Emacs cannot do is convert to the “simplified input
style”, which is what ‘guix style’ does.  (Eventually ‘indent-code.el’
functionality will be replaced by ‘guix style’ too.)

A segfault sounds scary, it could have been a setup issue somehow; we
can investigate next time!

Thanks,
Ludo’.