Subject: [PATCH] Option to sort NAMES listing
From: Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:16:00 +0100

Package: emacs,rcirc
Tags: patch
Version: 22.1
Severity: wishlist

This patch adds the user option to sort nickname listings in the way
that many other IRC clients sort them.

Details:
* Added rcirc-nickname<, a function which acts like string< but for
IRC nicknames, making @ less than + and comparing case-insensitively.
* Added rcirc-sort-nicknames-join, a function which takes a string of
IRC nicknames and a separator, sorts the nicknames and returns the
result.
* Added rcirc-sort-nicknames, a customizable variable which when
non-nil will make rcirc sort any NAMES responses. nil by default.
* Changed rcirc-handler-366 (RPL_ENDOFNAMES) to respect rcirc-sort-nicknames.

Notes:
Sorting of half-ops has not been tested, since this is a rarely used
feature of IRC. For what it's worth, half-op nicknames are prefixed
with %. Sorting of voiced users (+) works as intended by default, so
the only special case is @ < +. If someone implements support for
half-ops it should be @ < % < + < *.

-- 
Deniz Dogan