Subject: Re: bug#51205: 26.3; useful packages auto-removed
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Guillaume MULLER <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 01:43:52 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Guillaume MULLER <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> - When I hit "M-x package-autoremove" , some of the packages I use on an
>>   every day basis got removed automatically.
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
>
> That command removes packages that were not installed explicitly, but
> were installed as a dependency for package(s) that you've later removed.
>
>> I don't know what are the criteria used to detect a package is not used
>> anymore, but clearly some of my packages got removed abusively.
>
> "Not used" is not the criterion.
>
> Did that command remove anything that you hadn't installed explicitly?
> I tested the command here, but it seems like it's working as designed
> for me.
>
> If you see a bug here, do you have a recipe to reproduce it, starting
> from "emacs -Q"?

More information was requested, but none was given within 12 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.