Subject: 28.0.60; apropos-compact-layout is broken
From: Andriy Kmit' <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 19:59:35 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When the variable apropos-compact-layout is set to t, M-x apropos fails 
with the
following error:
"fill-region-as-paragraph: Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)"

Due to the error, the *Apropos* buffer would not pop up, but one may still
switch to it manually with e.g. C-x b and observe the correct output.

How to reproduce:
emacs -Q --eval='(setq apropos-compact-layout t)' --eval='(apropos "doc")'

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
  of 2021-10-02 built on madand-laptop
Repository revision: 5c77cc958451b3bc9ddb6752be1d32f50cba3e41
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Artix Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
  --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --with-native-compilation
  --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
  -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fuse-ld=gold'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib apropos paren iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71435 7185)
  (symbols 48 6850 0)
  (strings 32 21052 1733)
  (string-bytes 1 990110)
  (vectors 16 14116)
  (vector-slots 8 301136 11983)
  (floats 8 26 45)
  (intervals 56 623 1)
  (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Regards,
Andriy Kmit'