Subject: Crosscompiling gzip for musl-based system with clang
From: Caleb Heydon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 12:43:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I have been attempting to crosscompile gzip for a linux system that uses
the musl libc using clang, and I have come across an issue while
attempting to configure gzip.

I set CC="cross-clang", and run ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64.
cross-clang is just a wrapper script that sets the sysroot for
crosscompiling.  The configuration fails, and I get the following error:

checking how cross-clang reports undeclared, standard C functions...
configure: error: in `/home/user/Desktop/cross-compiling/build/gzip/gzip':
configure: error: cannot detect from compiler exit status or warnings

I have used a similar setup to successfully crosscompile many other pieces
of software, so I am not entirely sure why gzip is not configuring.  Any
suggestions for getting around the issue or suggested software changes
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Caleb Heydon