Subject: 27.2; Tramp /sudoedit:: does not preserve file security context
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:47:20 +0200 (CEST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The command: ls -Z /etc/fstab
Outputs: unconfined_u:object_r:etc_t:s0 /etc/fstab
On an unmodified fstab file. If I modify the file using 'sudoedit'
command, which uses GNU Nano on this system, preserves the same extended
file attributes. However, after using emacs -Q:
C-x C-f /sudoedit::/etc/fstab
<any file modification>
C-x C-s
The command: ls -Z /etc/fstab
Outputs: unconfined_u:object_r:user_tmp_t:s0 /etc/fstab
Which will prevent system from booting.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.29, cairo version 1.17.4)
of 2021-06-14 built on buildvm-x86-32.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Thirty Four)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
current-kill: Kill ring is empty [2 times]
gui-get-primary-selection: No selection is available

Configured using:
'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
--with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
-flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44393 10632)
(symbols 48 6007 1)
(strings 32 15439 2231)
(string-bytes 1 504347)
(vectors 16 9300)
(vector-slots 8 125174 13110)
(floats 8 19 45)
(intervals 56 261 0)
(buffers 1000 11))