Subject: 23.1.50; Tools menu shows "Read mail (with RMAIL)" despite customization of mail-user-agent
From: "Joel J. Adamson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:25:42 -0500

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Despite setting mail-user-agent to mh-e-user-agent through Customize,
Tools menu shows "Read mail (with RMAIL)", and "Send mail (with Gnus)."
Same behavior when starting Emacs with "emacs -Q" and setting using
(setq mail-user-agent 'mh-e-user-agent).  Same menu after starting Emacs
with "emacs -Q" and setting read-mail-command using (setq
read-mail-command 'mh-rmail).

,----[ C-h v mail-user-agent RET ]
| mail-user-agent is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
| Its value is mh-e-user-agent
| 
| Documentation:
| Your preference for a mail composition package.
| Various Emacs Lisp packages (e.g. Reporter) require you to compose an
| outgoing email message.  This variable lets you specify which
| mail-sending package you prefer.
| 
| Valid values include:
| 
|   `message-user-agent'  -- use the Message package.
|                            See Info node `(message)'.
|   `sendmail-user-agent' -- use the Mail package.
|                            See Info node `(emacs)Sending Mail'.
|   `mh-e-user-agent'     -- use the Emacs interface to the MH mail system.
|                            See Info node `(mh-e)'.
|   `gnus-user-agent'     -- like `message-user-agent', but with Gnus
|                            paraphernalia, particularly the Gcc: header for
|                            archiving.
| 
| Additional valid symbols may be available; check with the author of
| your package for details.  The function should return non-nil if it
| succeeds.
| 
| See also `read-mail-command' concerning reading mail.
| 
| You can customize this variable.
| 
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.2 of Emacs.
`----

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-09 on chondestes
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10603000
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-xft' '--with-sound' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-shared' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var' '--enable-perl=/usr/bin/perl' '--build=i686-slackware-linux' '--host=i686-slackware-linux' 'build_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'host_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'CFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org-Agenda Week Grid

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC i s SPC n e c e s s s a r y SPC f o r SPC t h a 
t . C-x C-s C-x 5 0 <help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x s u b SPC 
m i SPC M-D r e p o r SPC SPC SPC <return> <help-echo> 
T u r n i n g SPC o n SPC E D E SPC r e s u l t s SPC 
i n SPC " c a n n o t SPC f i n d SPC l o a d SPC f 
i l e " <return> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-2> C-a C-o C-o T u r n i n g SPC o n SPC E m 
a c s SPC D e v e l o p m e n t SPC E n v i r o n m 
e n t , SPC t h e n SPC o p e n i n g SPC a SPC p r 
o j e c t SPC d i r e c t o r y SPC r e s u l t s SPC 
i n SPC C-n C-n C-a C-SPC C-e M-x b o x q u o t e SPC 
SPC r e SPC <return> C-n C-n C-j i n SPC e c h o SPC 
a r e a . <help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> : SPC e d 
e / m a k e f i l e - e d i t C-c C-c g n n n n n n 
n n n n n n n n n n t g <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t SPC e m SPC SPC <retur
n>

Recent messages:
Rebuilding agenda buffer...done
TODO state changed to done
TODO state changed to todo
Entry repeats: SCHEDULED: <2009-11-12 Thu> 
Added 2 events for today
Note stored
Entry repeats: SCHEDULED: <2009-11-12 Thu> 
Rebuilding agenda buffer...
Added 2 events for today
Rebuilding agenda buffer...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/joel/.emacs.d/psvn/vc-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/vc-svn
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/t-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/t-mouse
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/anthy/leim-list hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/leim/leim-list

Features:
(shadow sh-script executable wid-browse tree-widget uudecode uce
starttls spam-report spam spam-stat bbdb-com bbdb timezone gnus-uu yenc
gnus-msg smtpmail sieve-manage rmail pop3 mspools metamail mairix
mailclient mailalias mail-hist imap gnus-dired fortune feedmail
eudc-vars emacsbug binhex vc-dir ewoc vc-arch vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git vc-bzr
vc-sccs vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher ede/dired
semantic/analyze/complete semantic/complete eieio-opt eldoc
semantic/db-typecache ehelp electric semantic/edit semantic/find
semantic/tag-file semantic/bovine/make semantic/bovine/make-by
semantic/bovine semantic/db-file cedet-files semantic/bovine/c
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/bovine/c-by
semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db-mode
semantic/db semantic/idle semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/ctxt
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local ede/make ede/linux ede/emacs ede/cpp-root
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar
eieio-custom eieio cedet compile etags disp-table woman man cus-edit
ps-mule mh-print mh-speed tar-mode speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
assoc sort ansi-color autoconf autoconf-mode newcomment make-mode
org-table dabbrev bookmark face-remap jka-compr info vc-svn cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
shell find-dired browse-url cal-move parse-time url-util url-parse
url-vars pp mule-util mh-search mh-thread flow-fill smiley mail-extr
mh-seq mh-inc hl-line mh-folder which-func imenu multi-isearch epg
mh-alias multi-prompt crm mh-mime mh-identity mh-tool-bar mh-letter
mh-show goto-addr thingatpt gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int message idna ecomplete rfc822 gmm-utils
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus-win gnus-range gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mh-xface mh-utils mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus
mml mml-sec mm-view smime password-cache dig mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums qp
mm-util mail-prsvr gnus-util netrc help-mode view apropos cal-iso
footnote flyspell ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-info
org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda org byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs
time-date noutline outline server appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs ibuf-ext ibuffer org-install preview prv-emacs
latex edmacro kmacro tex-style tex-buf tex tex-site auto-loads
preview-latex reftex reftex-vars uniquify dired-x dired-aux dired
ange-ftp comint enscript printing ps-print ps-def lpr boxquote rect
supercite sendmail regi psvn advice help-fns advice-preload wid-edit
log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode easymenu mh-e
regexp-opt mh-compat mailabbrev mh-acros cl cl-19 mh-buffers mh-loaddefs
midnight savehist time cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB #3280, Coker Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3280