Subject: ‘guix import pypi’ fails in the absence of “sdist” releases
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:33:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

For some packages we get this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix import pypi jaxlib
guix import: error: no source release for pypi package jaxlib 0.1.67
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and indeed, there’s no “sdist” (source distribution), only
“bdist_wheel” (.whl files).

Nevertheless, should the importer do something smarter here?  The
metadata at <https://pypi.org/pypi/jaxlib/json> doesn’t contain info
about the source repository (though it contains the home page at
github.com).  Would it make sense to build from a .whl file or does this
necessarily include generated code and other byproducts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.