Subject: 13.0.11; C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is disabled
From: Berthold Lorke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 15:02:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is
disabled.  This doesn't happen for non-standard environments (i.e. any
gibberish word, for example), the behaviour there is as expected.  i
haven't tried other pre-programmed environments yet.

Steps to reproduce:

0. be inside a buffer with major mode `latex-mode` (auctex)
1. make sure `auto-fill-mode` is disabled
2. mark a region that contains long lines
3. perform `LaTeX-enviroment` then type in `itemize` then press return

RESULT: the text that was highlighted is encased in an itemize
environment, and the first line hast an `\item ` prepended, but the
marked region has added line breaks, as one would expect when
`auto-fill-mode` is enabled, even when it isn't.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.27, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-26
Package: 13.0.11

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2021-04-28"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
"/tmp/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.11/style" "/tmp/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/tmp/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error)
%`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
"Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode
doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" TeX-run-compile
nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%'
%(output-dir) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode
context-mode) :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s %(output-dir)" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer
queue" :visible
		     TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d -o %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(O?aux)" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary\n     file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
"Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help "Delete
generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )