Subject: Re: bug#48313: [1.3.0rc2] ‘guix describe’ prints nothing and exits with 0
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 23:51:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> In the 1.3.0rc2 VM image, ‘guix describe’ prints nothing and exits with
> 0 (success).  This is with /run/current-system/profile/bin/guix.
> ‘strace’ shows that it parses /run/current-system/profile/manifest,
> which does not contain provenance information.

Fixed in 8a154c29151fc445e8d0364f507f6e200de1e700.  (I tested with ‘make
update-guix-package’ from which I built a VM to test into.)

The bug would also cause ‘guix pull’ to start authentication at the
introductory commit (thus authenticating more than 17,000 commits)
instead of starting at the current commit (around 800 commits today.)

If anyone wants to double-check, you can run, on version-1.3.0:

  make update-guix-package
  ./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl

and from there try things like:

  guix describe
  guix pull

and so on.

Ludo’.