Subject: Re: bug#47780: [installer] Trying to install to DVD leads to crash
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:18:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

> Does Parted provide a way to tell whether a storage device is read-only?
> That would be ideal.

Yes it does, but this is not enough for a reliable installation device
detection. In Qemu the installation device is /dev/sr0 that is
reported as read-only by parted.

Using real hardware, and an installation device on an USB drive, the
installation device is /dev/sd* and is not reported as read-only by
parted.

However, I found a better way to detect the installation device, that
relies on reading the root partition UUID from the command line.

I combined the read-only parted method and the UUID based installation
device detection in e12be802e02b3345a753e7ec1287852a7337a0a5. This seems
to work well for all my machines, plus for your VM use case.

Closing this one,

Thanks,

Mathieu