Subject: [PATCH] services: mysql: Add extra-environment as configuration option.
From: david larsson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:44:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!
This patch is needed for the Galera add-on to MariaDB, which runs some 
scripts like for example wsrep_sst_rsync that needs access to additional 
binaries in PATH.

I tested the patch with (and without) below snippets to the 
mysql-service in my config.scm and successfully connected to a 
MariaDB/Galera cluster.

I ran these commands to test:
guix pull --url=/home/user1/src/guix --profile=/tmp/guix.master 
--disable-authentication --allow-downgrades ; 
GUIX_PROFILE="/tmp/guix.master" ; . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile" ; guix 
system reconfigure config.scm --fallback --allow-downgrades

------------------------------------------------------------------

(extra-environment #~(list (string-append "PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:" #$rsync 
"/bin:" #$coreutils "/bin:" #$gawk "/bin:" #$grep "/bin:" #$mariadb 
"/bin:" #$iproute "/sbin:" 
"/run/setuid-programs:/run/current-system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin" 
) (string-append "SHELL=" #$bash) "USER=mysql" 
"SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt" 
"SSL_CERT_DIR=/run/current-system/profile/etc/ssl/certs"))

(extra-content #~(string-append "log_error=/var/lib/mysql/log_error.log
# 
https://www.percona.com/blog/2017/07/26/what-is-innodb_autoinc_lock_mode-and-why-should-i-care/
binlog_format=ROW
default-storage-engine=innodb
innodb_autoinc_lock_mode=2

# Galera Provider Configuration
wsrep_on=ON
wsrep_provider=" #$galera "/lib/libgalera_smm.so

# Galera Cluster Configuration
wsrep_cluster_name=\"test_cluster\"
wsrep_cluster_address=\"gcomm://redacted,redacted\"
# according to 
https://galeracluster.com/library/documentation/mysql-wsrep-options.html
# leaving it empty starts a new cluster, so you should immediately 
reconfigure again after doing this.
#wsrep_cluster_address=\"gcomm://\"

# Galera Synchronization Configuration
wsrep_sst_method=rsync

# Galera Node Configuration
wsrep_node_address=\"redacted\"
wsrep_node_name=\"librem13v3guixsd\""))
                                ))

------------------------------------------------------------------

Please someone also review [bug#47517] [PATCH] gnu: nginx: Enable stream 
module

which adds support for tcp loadbalancing that can be used to scale a 
MariaDB/Galera cluster.

Best regards,
David

From 927444652f4b774928de78c1558b4e942abff203 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: methuselah-0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:30:01 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] services: mysql: Add extra-environment as configuration
 option.

* gnu/services/databases.scm (mysql-configuration): Add extra-environment
(mysql-service): Use #:log-file and #:environment-variables

* doc/guix.texi: Document it.
---
 doc/guix.texi              | 3 +++
 gnu/services/databases.scm | 7 ++++++-
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index c23d044ff5..298585a695 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -19809,6 +19809,9 @@ Socket file to use for local (non-network) connections.
 @item @code{extra-content} (default: @code{""})
 Additional settings for the @file{my.cnf} configuration file.
 
+@item @code{extra-environment} (default: @code{#~'()})
+List of environment variables passed to the @command{mysqld} process.
+
 @item @code{auto-upgrade?} (default: @code{#t})
 Whether to automatically run @command{mysql_upgrade} after starting the
 service.  This is necessary to upgrade the @dfn{system schema} after
diff --git a/gnu/services/databases.scm b/gnu/services/databases.scm
index a841e7a50e..8d266c1cba 100644
--- a/gnu/services/databases.scm
+++ b/gnu/services/databases.scm
@@ -7,6 +7,7 @@
 ;;; Copyright © 2018 Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
 ;;; Copyright © 2019 Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]>
 ;;; Copyright © 2020 Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
+;;; Copyright © 2021 David Larsson <[email-masked]>
 ;;;
 ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
 ;;;
@@ -527,6 +528,7 @@ created after the PostgreSQL database is started.")))
   (port mysql-configuration-port (default 3306))
   (socket mysql-configuration-socket (default "/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock"))
   (extra-content mysql-configuration-extra-content (default ""))
+  (extra-environment mysql-configuration-extra-environment (default #~'()))
   (auto-upgrade? mysql-configuration-auto-upgrade? (default #t)))
 
 (define %mysql-accounts
@@ -611,11 +613,14 @@ FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
          (provision '(mysql))
          (documentation "Run the MySQL server.")
          (start (let ((mysql  (mysql-configuration-mysql config))
+                      (extra-env (mysql-configuration-extra-environment config))
                       (my.cnf (mysql-configuration-file config)))
                   #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                      (list (string-append #$mysql "/bin/mysqld")
                            (string-append "--defaults-file=" #$my.cnf))
-                     #:user "mysql" #:group "mysql")))
+                           #:user "mysql" #:group "mysql"
+                           #:log-file "/var/log/mysqld.log"
+                           #:environment-variables #$extra-env)))
          (stop #~(make-kill-destructor)))))
 
 (define (mysql-upgrade-wrapper mysql socket-file)
-- 
2.30.2