Subject: dejagnu help tests FAIL on Solaris
From: Rainer Orth <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 13:30:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There are only two testsuite failures when running make check on Solaris
11.3 for dejagnu 1.6.3-rc1:

FAIL: dejagnu help selects dejagnu(1) manpage
FAIL: dejagnu help help selects dejagnu-help(1) manpage

They are from testsuite/launcher.all/help.exp, but unfortunately
launcher.log gives no further information but the FAILs.

With runtest -v, I find

Spawning "env MANPAGER=echo /vol/src/gnu/dejagnu/dejagnu-1.6.3-rc1/dejagnu help -v" ...
FAIL: dejagnu help selects dejagnu(1) manpage

Running the above command manually yields

Forwarding to man "/vol/src/gnu/dejagnu/dejagnu-1.6.3-rc1/doc/dejagnu.1"
No manual entry for /vol/src/gnu/dejagnu/dejagnu-1.6.3-rc1/doc/dejagnu.1.

which is no wonder: Solaris man doesn't support

man <filename>

at all and there's no equivalent.  The only way seems to have the
regular directory structure with .../man/man1, then run man -M .../man
dejagnu.

Besides, Solaris man doesn't support MANPAGER either, only PAGER.

	Rainer

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University