Subject: Re: bug#46537: ‘uname -s’ from Gash-Utils-Boot returns nothing
From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 21:45:02 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 04:16:29PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>
>> Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:24:46PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> >> Gash-Utils ‘uname’ seems to be confused:
>> >> 
>> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> >> $ $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) gash-utils-boot)')/bin/uname -a
>> >> Linux ribbon 5.10.10-gnu #1 SMP 1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> >> $ $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) gash-utils-boot)')/bin/uname -s
>> >> 
>> >> $ guix describe
>> >> Generacio 175	Feb 04 2021 22:52:40	(nuna)
>> >>   guix 5ae09d7
>> >>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>> >>     branch: master
>> >>     commit: 5ae09d7979a0696d862b9555314eab199f7ce576
>> >> $ uname -s
>> >> Linux
>> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>> 
>> I forgot to mention the ‘uname -s’ problem is hidden by the fact that we
>> always pass ‘--build’ to ‘configure’.  When we don’t do that,
>> ‘config.guess’ runs and fails.
>> 
>> [...]
>> 
>> I wonder if this should be kept but changed to:
>> 
>>   (kernel-name? (or kernel-name? (not (or …))))
>
> With it changed to this:
> (ins)efraim@3900XT ~/workspace/gash-utils$
> /gnu/store/9mb28yyzfh6pr4yk5nyy42vrfbj8caxp-gash-utils-boot-0.1.0.107-eedd-dirty/bin/uname
> -s
> Linux

Indeed!  I noticed this same issue the other day.  Check out commit
2ee2e2721367cc242ceb0e4b364468870a87f0b4:

    https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/gash/gash-utils.git/commit/?id=2ee2e2721367cc242ceb0e4b364468870a87f0b4

I recommend that you take a look at the “wip-gcc-mesboot” branch.  It
has a couple “from the hip” changes that I made while looking at getting
Gash-Utils to handle more of the work in “commencement.scm”.  Last week
I was able to build to “gcc-mesboot1” with only Make, Diffutils, patch,
and Gzip (the first three were there before the “Scheme-only” bootstrap,
and Gzip saves writing “(delete 'compress-documentation)” over and
over).  Unfortunately, building Glibc after that is quite difficult.  To
do it with Gash-Utils, we would need (at least) to support redirects in
AWK and the “-t” and “-k” flags in sort.  For fun, I tried building Gawk
and Coreutils at this point (using the ancient versions that we
bootstrap with now).  That let me build Glibc, but then I hit a problem
with the “po2test.sed” script while building “gcc-mesboot”.  I tried
again with ancient GNU Sed, but the build seemed to hang during a
configure test.  I suspect adding Bash to the mix might fix it, but I
haven’t tried yet....

Back to the matter at hand: I’m closing this bug since it’s already been
fixed.  :)

-- Tim