Subject: toolkit dependence of frame-height
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 02:57:54 -0400

As far as I can tell, the result of (frame-height) on GNU/Linux
depends on the X toolkit on the following way:

gtk        : excludes both tool-bar and menu-bar
motif      : includes tool-bar (height = 2?), excludes menu-bar
lucid      : like motif
no toolkit : includes both tool-bar and menu-bar (height = 1)
-nw        : includes menu-bar

The motif and lucid values seems inconsistent with the Elisp manual:

     These values include the internal borders, and windows' scroll
     bars and fringes (which belong to individual windows, not to the
     frame itself), but do not include menu bars or tool bars (except
     when using X without an X toolkit).

I am happy to update the documentation, if the current behaviour (and
my understanding of it) is correct, or not going to be changed. (It is
rather confusing though.)

Some previous discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2007-12/msg00103.html

and to some extent bug #25