Subject: GNOME Builder: Global search, autocompletion, documentation don't work
From: Luis Felipe <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 17:24:35 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Various features described in GNOME Builder documentation (https://builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/exploring.html) don't seem to work, even though their corresponding extensions are enabled (in Settings → Extensions).

So far, I've only identified Global search, autocompletion, documentation on hover. I tried these in Python code only.

I assumed these features are failing for the same reason, so I'm reporting them together.

## Steps to reproduce: Search for a function in your Python project

1. Start GNOME Builder
2. Click on the "Select a Folder..." button
3. Locate the folder of your project and click "Open"
4. Press Ctrl + . to focus the search box
5. Start typing the name of a function you know is defined in the project source code

## Expected result

You see the function suggested in the results.

## Unexpected result

The suggested results don't include the function. Searching only seems to suggest filenames that include your search terms; definitions in the source code, like classes and functions, seem to be excluded.

## Steps to reproduce: Autocompletion in a Python file

1. Open a Python file
2. Type "Hello". (that's hello in double quotes, followed by a dot)

## Expected result

A list of methods for string objects is displayed after you type the dot.

## Unexpected result

The list is not displayed at all.

## Steps to reproduce: Documentation on hovering over a Python method

1. Open a Python file
2. Type "Hello {}".format("World")
3. Hover over the "format" method or place the caret on it and press F2

## Expected result

A box appears over the method displaying its documentation.

## Unexpected result

The box is not displayed at all.

## System information

guix 08d8c2d
gnome-builder 3.36.1

## Additional information

I see the following output when I start gnome-builder from a terminal:

```
$ gnome-builder
sh: getent: command not found
11:21:17.5362                   ide-application-plugins[ 18651]: CRITICAL: Cannot enable Python 3 plugins: Typelib file for namespace 'Dazzle', version '1.0' not found
11:21:17.5405                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5407                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5407                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5407                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5407                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5408                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5408                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5409                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5409                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5410                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5410                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5410                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5411                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5411                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5411                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5412                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5412                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5412                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5419                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5420                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5480                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5505                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5507                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:17.5507                                   libpeas[ 18651]:  WARNING: The 'python3' plugin loader has not been enabled
11:21:19.8003                        ide-device-manager[ 18651]:  WARNING: GbpQemuDeviceProvider: binfmt is missing from /proc/mounts
11:21:20.0893               gbp-sysprof-workspace-addin[ 18651]:  WARNING: Sysprof-3 is not supported, will not enable profiler: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Sysprof3 was not provided by any .service files
```

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/