Subject: Re: bug#44178: Add a Go Module Importer
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: JOULAUD François <[email-masked]>
Cc: Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:12:49 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi François, Katherine, & all!

I’m happy to say that it’s finally pushed, on behalf of Katherine and
the rest of you!

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=02e2e093e858e8a0ca7bd66c1f1f6fd0a1705edb

I had to make a number of changes, among which (off the top of my head):

  • Add files to Makefile.am.  One can now run:

      make check TESTS=tests/go.scm

    See
    <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Running-the-Test-Suite.html>.

  • Update ‘specification->package’ in (guix self).

  • Fix version handling in the generated sexp (thanks Maxim for helping
    out on IRC!).

  • Fix the generated ‘license’ field.

  • Fix minor issues reported by compiler warnings.

  • Compute the hash of Git checkouts (done in a followup commit) since
    that’s part of the minimum one expects from importers.

  • Recode (guix import go) as UTF-8 rather than Latin-1.

  • Move commentary below ‘define-module’ form.

Let me know if I broke anything on the way or if anything’s unclear!

Now, you’ve already identified things that could be improved, so feel
free to send focused patches addressing specific issues.

Thanks everyone for the great team work!  :-)

Ludo’.