Subject: Re: bug#43668: Daemon tries to build GNU/Hurd derivations on GNU/Linux
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 12:51:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Yeah, I think we’ll have to do this hack (we’re not going to parse ELF
>> files and all to determine whether to call ‘execve’.)
>
> Ah, we're C++; I was thinking Guile and "we surely have" an ELF library.
> That's allright then.  Let's have this workaround.

Yeah.  Even with a library, it doesn’t sound right to parse files
beforehand.  I think it’s up to the kernel to make the relevant check,
but perhaps there are good reasons why this isn’t happening here.

Anyway, pushed as 9556ac498fd648147ad7d3b52ec86202d0a8e171!

>> (Besides, it would be interesting to understand how the libc/Hurd
>> startup code ends up segfaulting on GNU/Linux.)
>
> Hmm...are you saying something like "it could run until it wants to RCP
> Mach or Hurd?"  Might it "just load" shared libraries...

Yeah I would expect it to run code up to the first Mach syscall but here
it segfaults so maybe it crashes earlier.

Ludo’.