Subject: 23.1.50; fullscreen (-mode) almost fullscreen
From: Ulrich Neumerkel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 00:01:45 +0200

--text follows this line--

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

With

(set-frame-parameter () 'fullscreen 'maximized)
(set-frame-parameter () 'fullscreen nil)

allow to nicely enable/disable what might become a fullscreen-mode.

There are still some details missing for a perfect fullscreen mode:

Windowmanagers still put a titlebar on the fullscreen window.  This can
be avoided by setting the Motif nodecoration hint.  This works in Gnome,
KDE, and many windowmanagers.

Using --without-toolkit-scroll-bars with the scrollbar on the left, the
window should be shifted a couple of pixels to the left.  This helps to
avoid the unclickable and irritating no man's land between the left
screen border and the clickable scrollbar.  Otherwise using the
scrollbar is more difficult as mouse movements must be very precise
horizontally - vertical precision would suffice.  What I do here is
either to use a negative geometry to avoid that space or I manually
reposition that window.

Since many windowmanagers do make difficulties here it might be simpler
to perform that shifting within the emacs frame.

Within Gnome, switching with Alt-TAB between windows causes irritating
flicker with an Emacs fullscreen present.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2009-09-06 on gupu2
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10603000
configured using `configure  '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--prefix' '/opt/gupu/emacs-git''