Subject: [PATCH 0/1] "Getting Started" section for the manual
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 22:47:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

Earlier today, a colleague of mine said they were giving Guix
“a second chance” after an unsatisfying first attempt.  They had
successfully installed it, asked me about “that locale message
from ‘guile’” and what’s going on with PATH and all, and told me
they’d looked for “getting started” kind of material and didn’t
find any.

Indeed, a search for “guix getting started” in popular search engines
yields nothing really useful.  (I know we have getting-started videos
on the front page, but for some reason they must not be that easy to
find?)

Anyway, it bothered me that the first-time user experience could
be this bad, so I wrote this section for the manual.  It’s designed
to take at most 5mn to read and to have prominent boxes with commands
to paste in a terminal.  Perhaps it’s still even too long.

What do you think, comrades?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (1):
  doc: Add "Getting Started" section.

 doc/guix.texi | 214 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 213 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

-- 
2.28.0