Subject: Add release date to the title page of Emacs manual (PDF)
From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 22:19:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello list,

I would like to suggest adding a release date to the title page of PDF
version of the Emacs manual.  Five variants below, are all simple
change in EMACS.TEXI, and all would show date under the "EDITION
Edition, Updated for Emacs Version VERSION" line on the title page
(example in attached picture).

First one would show date in "12 April 2018" format:

==================================================
@center @value{EDITION} Edition, Updated for Emacs Version 
@value{EMACSVER}.
+@sp 1
+@center @today{}
@sp 5
@center Richard Stallman et al.
==================================================

Second one would show date in "April 2018" format:

==================================================
@center @value{EDITION} Edition, Updated for Emacs Version 
@value{EMACSVER}.
+@sp 1
+@tex
+\center %
+\ifcase\month %
+\or January \or February \or March \or April \or May \or June %
+\or July \or August \or September \or October \or November \or December %
+\fi\number\year
+@end tex
@sp 5
@center Richard Stallman et al.
==================================================

Third on would show date in "2018" format

==================================================
@center @value{EDITION} Edition, Updated for Emacs Version 
@value{EMACSVER}.
+@sp 1
+@center @inlineraw{tex, \the\year}
@sp 5
@center Richard Stallman et al.
==================================================

Fourth - "4, 2018" (4=month) - setting is similar to 3rd method above.

Fifth - using @set and @value, just like in case of EDITION or
       	EMACSVER.

Variants 1-4 are automated, printed date is the date of system (OS)
when the compilation happened, 5th - I guess - can be automated.

Personally, I prefer 2nd variant, i.e. "April 2018", as in example.

S. U.