Subject: 27.0.60; copy-file interactive VS from lisp disagreement
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 22:03:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Observed a disagreement when calling `copy-file' interactively VS calling
it from Lisp.

This is a recipe:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
emacs -Q:
$ touch /tmp/foo
M-x copy-file RET /tmp/foo RET ~/ RET
;; Received prompt:
;; File /home/calancha already exists; copy to it anyway? (y or n) 

;; In the other hand, the following works, i.e., it creates ~/foo
M-: (copy-file "/tmp/foo" "~/")
=> nil
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Reproduced w/ Emacs 26-27; with Emacs 25, the interactive call
creates ~/foo as expected.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 27.0.60 (build 30, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2020-01-09 built on calancha-pc.dy.bbexcite.jp
Repository revision: 58412402959d8f88e230f95c5fc7de072e115140
Repository branch: emacs-27
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
funcall-interactively: File already exists: /home/calancha
nil
Mark set

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 53485 9324)
 (symbols 48 6097 1)
 (strings 32 15475 1668)
 (string-bytes 1 503791)
 (vectors 16 7253)
 (vector-slots 8 77927 8490)
 (floats 8 22 306)
 (intervals 56 2921 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))