Subject: 26.3; Doc string of `files--message'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 13:42:34 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Doc string:

"Like `message', except sometimes don't print to minibuffer.
If the variable `save-silently' is non-nil, the message is not
displayed on the minibuffer."

`message' does not "print to" the minibuffer or "display on" the
minibuffer.  It shows a message in the echo area.

Plus, it's not true that it sometimes does not show the message.  What
really happens is that the message is sometimes shown and then
immediately cleared - it is still logged in `*Messages*', for example.

The doc string should just say that if `save-silently' is non-nil then,
after showing the message in the echo area, it is cleared.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17763
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''