Subject: Disabling bytecompilation on a list of files.
From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 13:45:10 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey all.

Just forwarding along an idea discussed between Leo Prikler, Tobias, and
I on IRC.

Recently I was trying to update our emacs-doom-themes package to a
fresher commit since it offers numerous new functionalities but there is
not a marked stable release of the package. In the process I found an
issue where some files have a bytecode compilation overflow issue during
the build phase. My sloppy work around as shown in
e9d8dee6c3d6e2ddff74841a3ab3a2ba2816bf27 was as such:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; XXX: There is a byte-code overflow issue in the latest
;; checkout which affects byte-compilation for several theme
;; files. The easiest way to work around this is to disable
;; byte-compilation until the issue is resolved.
;; <https://github.com/hlissner/emacs-doom-themes/issues/314>
(delete 'build)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Obviously just outright deleting the phase responsible for
bytecompilation is not the _best_ solution. So what Leo and I proposed
was adding a #:no-bytecomp which takes a list of REGEXP or files that
will be excluded from the in-place byte-compilation.

I wanted to float this idea by those of us who use the
emacs-build-system regularly.

Thanks!

-- 
Brett M. Gilio
Homepage -- https://scm.pw/
GNU Guix -- https://guix.gnu.org/