Subject: Fwd: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present
From: Luca Saiu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 21:27:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

I am taking the liberty of pinging you about this problem, which has a
one-character fix.  I reported it a few weeks ago, possibly to the wrong
list; I apologize.

Best regards, and thank you for your work.

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Luca Saiu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 21:18:42 +0200

Hello.

For some reason I lost the habit of using tags some years ago, but I
would like to start again.  So today I have tried to see what Automake
got me automatically in my project, Jitter, which uses "An Alternative
Approach to Subdirectories" by running
  make tags
.

I received this error message:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'emacs/jitter-mode.elconfig.h.in', needed by 'tags-am'.  Stop.

which suggests that a space is missing somewhere.  emacs/jitter-mode.el
is an Emacs Lisp source, handled with Automake in a very canonical way.
config.h.in is exactly what you expect.

In the generated Makefile I see:

am__tagged_files = $(HEADERS) $(SOURCES) $(TAGS_FILES) \
	$(LISP)config.h.in

And in fact I can see that the value of am__tagged_files, at the very
end, has
emacs/jitter-mode.elconfig.h.in
, without a space.

I think that the problem is in bin/automake.in (checked on git master):

    define_variable ('am__tagged_files',
                     '$(HEADERS) $(SOURCES) $(TAGS_FILES) $(LISP)'
                     . "@config", INTERNAL);

A space is missing after $(LISP).

I am not an Automake expert and I apologize if I am overlooking
something obvious, but this seems quite plausible to me.

Best regards, and thanks for your work.

-- 
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon:           http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon
* Jitter:                http://ageinghacker.net/projects/jitter

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".
-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

-- 
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon:           http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon
* Jitter:                http://ageinghacker.net/projects/jitter

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".