Subject: Re: bug#3736: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:28:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> I've added the functions null-device and path-separator, which return
> the connection-local values of the respective variables. As first shot,
> I've changed grep.el using this. Let's see whether there's
> feedback. However, people will see a difference only if they work on a
> local w32 system, and apply Emacs's grep command on a remote machine --
> a constellation I cannot test myself.
>
> I'll continue to adapt other Emacs Lisp files.

I have applied all respective changes in the master branch which look
obvious to me. There are still ~40 occurences of /dev/null in the lisp
directory, but most of them are comments. So I'll close this bug.

If people are interested in fixing the few other places, they could do
now by using the null-device variable or function. In case they don't
know what's better, a new bug report for the given case would do,
instead of keeping *this* bug report open forever.

Best regards, Michael.