Subject: Re: bug#37233: lsblk not up to date in util-linux
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Bengt Richter <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 16:03:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bengt,

Sorry you had to debug that!

Bengt Richter 写道：
> …then I get the desired output above. The difference is 
> apparently
> util-linux 2.32.1 vs the newer 2.34, where the newer one 
> understands
> more field names for -o ...

[…]

> Hope somebody can update it.
> I think I found the updated version at
> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/v2.34/util-linux-2.34.tar.xz

Guix's util-linux package was already updated to 2.34 in June 
(commit ac3842ef on core-updates), and it will be available when 
core-updates is merged into master.  That should be very soon now. 
I'm closing this bug for that reason.

Updates of core Guix packages like these take a while to trickle 
down to users because ‘everything’ depends on them, and when 
they change ‘everything’ needs to be rebuilt, so we need to 
‘batch’ these changes somehow to avoid rebuilding the world ever 
two days.  Search for ‘staging’ and ‘core-updates’ in the 
manual.  Unfortunately, core-updates in particular always takes 
longer to fix up and merge than expected.

Until that happens, you can define and install your own updated 
util-linux.

  (define-public util-linux/latest
    (package
      (inherit util-linux)
      (name "util-linux")
      (version "2.34")
      (source …))) ; updated URL

This is similar to what we already do for security updates in 
Guix.

Kind regards,

T G-R