Subject: 26.2; Truncate line symbol in minibuffer fringe with tooltip-mode off
From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:05:58 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This one is mostly cosmetic, but as I know this community values
details, I thought it worth reporting.

When 'tootip-mode' is off, the tooltip content is echoed in the
minibuffer. When those contents extrapolate the frame's width, the
truncate line symbol is correctly displayed in the minibuffer's right
fringe. However, when the tooltip is gone, the truncate line symbol is
left hanging there until some other minibuffer event takes place.

Steps to reproduce:

#+begin_src bash
emacs -Q
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(tooltip-mode -1)
#+end_src

Move your mouse pointer to some part of the modeline which produces a long
tooltip (eg. the major mode).

The tooltip will be echoed in the minibuffer, and the truncate line symbol
shown in the minibuffer's right fringe.

Now move your mouse pointer away from the modeline. The tooltip echo is 
gone,
but the truncate line symbol remains.

Best regards,
Gustavo Barros.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
of 2019-04-19 built on gusbrs-laptop
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
nil
Quit

Configured using:
'configure --with-mailutils --with-xwidgets --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: pt_BR.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: pt_BR.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95017 7632)
(symbols 48 20412 1)
(miscs 40 56 104)
(strings 32 28416 879)
(string-bytes 1 747531)
(vectors 16 14075)
(vector-slots 8 502580 8670)
(floats 8 49 142)
(intervals 56 212 0)
(buffers 992 11))