Subject: Re: bug#35502: 27.0.50; encode-time apparently stopped working
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:40:48 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 4/30/19 11:00 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:
> That patch fixes roundtripping for me, thanks.

Thanks for checking; closing the bug report.

> I thought commit messages were supposed to be ASCII only?

As far as I can tell we've been putting UTF-8 into commit messages for
fifteen years, and standardized on UTF-8 (as opposed to other non-ASCII
encodings) in 2015; there's a note in the CONTRIBUTE file to that effect.

>     That shows as "\xe2\x80\x99" for me in Gnus.

That charset botch is due to this Thunderbird bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1167982

I try to work around the bug by hand but forgot this time. Arguably Gnus
should do better here, since this is a reasonably-common problem that
has been biting people for years. I filed a Gnus problem report here:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/35507