Subject: The installer recommends wrong initrd module names
From: Meiyo Peng <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 18:57:03 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

When I install Guix on a low end computer using the `guix system init`
command, the installer says that "mmc_block" and "sdhci_acpi" should be
added into initrd-modules:

#+begin_example
  error: you may need these modules in the initrd for /dev/mmcblk0p2: mmc_block sdhci_acpi
  hint: Try adding them to the `initrd-modules' field of your `operating-system' declaration, along these lines:

        (operating-system
          ;; ...
          (initrd-modules (append (list "mmc_block" "sdhci_acpi")
                                  %base-initrd-modules)))
#+end_example

This computer has an eMMC disk, so this sounds reasonable.  I made that
modification and the installation process succeeded.  But when I boot
the computer, it complained that "sdhci_acpi" could not be found.  After
spending hours digging around, I finally found out that the required
module name is actuall called "sdhci-acpi" rather than "sdhci_acpi".
The computer can successfully boot into Guix when I replace "sdhci_acpi"
with "sdhci-acpi" and reinstall Guix.

So the problem is that the Guix installer recommends wrong initrd module
names to user.

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/