Subject: Re: [bug#34356] [PATCH] gnu: u-boot-novena: Allow booting from raw device offset.
From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
To: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:04:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Vagrant,

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:23:28 -0800
Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The more complicated way would be to make novena-installation-os and/or
> embedded-installation-os smart enough to drop "u-boot.img" in the
> correct place, on the first FAT or EXT* partition of the microSD. That
> is certainly currently over my head to attempt that at the moment.
> 
> I think we had touched on this in the bugs where I introduced
> u-boot-novena in #31404.

Fair enough.  For something as basic as a bootloader, I guess it's better
for it to be contained in one place anyway.  I'm now reasonably sure that
it works fine in this configuration.

I've amended the description and applied your patch to guix master.

(If we wanted to add the original functionality anyway, grub-efi already
requires something like it and could be used as a template).