Subject: Re: bug#33708: 26.1.90; nhexl-mode performance
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Guido Kraemer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 17:52:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> - Thanks for fixing this, performance is great now!

Thanks for confirming.

> - Sorry for using that weird site for file sharing, you could have installed
> the bitcoin client (which is MIT licensed) and downloaded the
> blockchain ;-),

I hesitated to do that, indeed.

> what would you use for ad-hoc file sharing?

I'd put it on my web server, not linked from any page.

> - I think there is another minor bug: When the cursor is at the very
> beginning of the buffer and you search for the byte sequence at the very
> beginning of the file, search will jump to the second occurrence. Happens in
> the example of the original bug report.

Yeah, it's a misfeature that I'm not sure how to fix:

When you type `C-s f a`, you first search for `f` and this one is not
treated as a hex-search so it jumps to the first `f` char, so when you
get to type `a` Isearch keeps searching from that `f` rather than
restarting from the beginning of the buffer.

I could change the rule so that `C-s f` already treats `f` as
a hex-search, I guess.

        Stefan