Subject: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.]
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 21:16:01 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

----- Forwarded message from Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:29:25 -0500
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.]
User-Agent: Mutt/1.10.1 (2018-07-13)

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 04:32:46AM -0500, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> commit 9a65a052016572b61e3c4247fcdf9e0478656f71
> Author: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Sun Nov 11 22:02:18 2018 +0100
> 
>     gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.
>     
>     * gnu/packages/golang.scm (go): Update default to 1.11.

I noticed that since this change, Go programs (that is, command-line
executables) keep references to their inputs:

$ guix gc --references $(./pre-inst-env guix build --no-grafts kurly)
/gnu/store/2b2md66fbzyspsmd5dj6zkj9hilac40r-tzdata-2018e
/gnu/store/4iwksvq53rlzphfp3xvp63ihlw226c0n-go-github-com-aki237-nscjar-0.0.0-0.e2df936
/gnu/store/5rxdjbk8h0bh1hbaan8y8ib13va2bcmw-net-base-5.3
/gnu/store/ahvdlp6y44qj6kx63rmx1sq8r61x3zc2-go-github-com-alsm-ioprogress-0.0.0-0.063c372
/gnu/store/f8yps0l8p371jgzh6cki0z5n2kgfjiwy-go-github-com-urfave-cli-1.19.1-0.934abfb
/gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27
/gnu/store/pp0bakrbyv9xmp1kyv2114l19s11b74z-gcc-6.4.0-lib

Previously, they did not:

$ guix gc --references $(guix build --no-grafts kurly)
/gnu/store/2b2md66fbzyspsmd5dj6zkj9hilac40r-tzdata-2018e
/gnu/store/5rxdjbk8h0bh1hbaan8y8ib13va2bcmw-net-base-5.3
/gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27
/gnu/store/pp0bakrbyv9xmp1kyv2114l19s11b74z-gcc-6.4.0-lib

Is this expected? I thought that Go programs were always statically
linked.

----- End forwarded message -----