Subject: Re: bug#33548: 25.1; GUD GDB doesn't decode file paths correctly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: ksqsf <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:39:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: ksqsf <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 10:03:19 +0800
> Feedback-ID: bizesmtp:ksqsf.moe:qybgforeign:qybgforeign4
> 
> 在 2018-11-29四的 21:35 +0200，Eli Zaretskii写道：
> > Does it help to set gdb-mi-decode-strings to utf-8?
> 
> Yes! This fixes this problem for me. Thanks. This report can be closed
> now.

Done.

> I think this variable deserves a mention in the doc anyway.

What documentation did you have in mind?

> Actually it should be made default.

No, I don't think so.  It has some confusing side effects, and in most
cases is unnecessary.

> I noticed the warning, but can we do better? I mean, simply stops gdb
> from escaping strings (does gdb even support this?), as _inconsistent_
> escaping does nothing but introducing problems.

You can tell GDB to stop escaping in strings ("set print
sevenbit-strings", which is off by default), but GDB is under user
control, and the user is legitimately allowed to turn escaping on, we
cannot do anything about that.  Plus, there are GDB settings to
control the encoding of text strings that GDB emits based on values of
the variables of the program being debugged.

> LLDB seems to do better job in this regard.

??? LLDB doesn't have a respectable implementation of the MI protocol
to begin with.