Subject: Re: [bug#32837] [PATCH 0/5] Improvements to the UI with colors
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 00:31:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Let me know what you think!  I’d be happy to go ahead with this variant
>> soon.  :-)
>
> I really like this patch series.  It implements a very flexible
> mechanism that allows us to track the build state more accurately.  In
> fact, it would enable a GUI developer to display the build progress in
> an intuitive way that is a few steps removed from the raw build log
> style.

Yeah, that’s my hope too.  We would need Fibers/coroutines to make a
neat (G)UI, and also better multiplexing of build logs when max-jobs > 1
(the “extended build traces” are not full proof: we can’t guarantee
they’ll appear at the beginning of a line currently), but it’s a first
step.

> I noticed a few typos in patch 4/5:

Fixed!

Thanks Danny for reviewing, and thank you Ricardo for reviewing,
testing, and for the suggestions, which led to a much improved patch!

> As to the way we display build progress: we can improve on that later.
> The mechanism proposed in this patch series is very nice and I’d love to
> see it merged soon.

I have a snippet here to estimate build time based on past build logs,
we’ll see…

I’ve pushed the patches as 240a9c69a6064544a616acc521c993542c364948,
with a daemon update in 5abcb1b0e6fe849d206b3683444c76d91f21a3d4.

Bug reports & suggestions welcome!

Ludo’.