Subject: Re: bug#32756: Customize UI Value Menu Label&Text Description is out of wack
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Van L <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:59:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Van L <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:46:25 +1000
> 
> Hello.
> 
> The label in the Value Menu should match exactly what is described in the documentation for the following:
> 
> 1. Xref Prompt For Identifier
> 2. Dired Use Ls Dired
> 
> when using Customize UI.

"Match exactly" is not a worthy goal, IMO, (even if possible, which I
doubt), because the menu items cannot be as long as the doc string,
and the doc string is typically long, as it should include enough
details to explain itself completely.  However, I made changes (on the
emacs-26 branch) that I believe make the menus for those two variables
match their doc strings much closer.

> An ideal user to verify the ability to achieve their goal whilst interacting with this aspect of the UI is to ask for feedback from a working writer, such as, a journalist. (Not me.)

I don't think we have such users on board, but if there are concrete
practical suggestions for further improvement, they are welcome.

Thanks.