Subject: 27.0.50; Assertion failure for dot-terminated large int
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Chris Feng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 18:50:57 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 27.0.50

With the nw bignum code in Emacs master, reading a large integer with
trailing dot triggers an assertion failure:

    M-: 4294967295. RET

for me triggers the problem (seen in elpa/packages/xelb/xcb-types.el).
I suspect on a 64bit host you'll need:

    M-: 18446744073709551615. RET

to trigger the same bug (the integer needs to be large enough not to
fit in a Lisp fixnum but small enough to fit in a uintmax_t).

The assertion that fails is the `eassert (check == 0)`
in alloc.c:make_bignum_str.

BTW, I was surprised to discover that until now "42." was read as the
*integer* of value 42 rather than the float of that value.  I guess
we're stuck with this behavior but I find it odd.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-08-19 built on alfajor
Repository revision: 14acf8634c0b359fbbd3234dff65b40d9a12f26d
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
Required package ‘helm-1.0’ is unavailable
Unable to activate package ‘ebdb-i18n-chn’.
Required package ‘pyim-1.6.0’ is unavailable
Loading /home/monnier/src/elisp/ProofGeneral/generic/proof-site.el (source)...done
Loading /home/monnier/etc/emacs/X11.el (source)...done
Loading /home/monnier/etc/emacs/custom.el (source)...done
Ispell-kill: nil american
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with american dictionary...
Warning: hide-sublevels is obsolete!
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure -C --enable-checking --with-modules --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-compact-docstrings-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/svg/svg hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/svg
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/hyperbole/set hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/set
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/landmark/landmark hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/landmark
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils server time-date flymake-proc flymake compile comint
ansi-color ring warnings noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell
checkdoc thingatpt load-dir elec-pair reveal autoinsert proof-site
proof-autoloads cl pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table
compact-docstrings kotl-autoloads advice info
realgud-recursive-autoloads url-auth finder-inf package let-alist
derived pcase cl-extra help-mode easymenu cl-seq inline url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv epg epg-config subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 176553 15999)
 (symbols 24 25413 1) (strings 16 53114 3586) (string-bytes 1 1719428)
 (vectors 12 22395)
 (vector-slots 4 633679 13932) (floats 8 74 43) (intervals 28 255 0)
 (buffers 536 14))