Subject: Unable to update git when git:send-email is installed
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 03:46:50 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

<sdb> I think I just found a bug in guix package -u. I am unable to run
the updated package after running the upgrade.
sdb1@antelope ~/guix$ echo $PATH
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/sdb1/guix-profile/bin:/var/guix/profiles/per-user/sdb1/guix-profile/sbin:/var/guix/profiles/per-user/sdb1/guix-profile/bin:/run/setuid-programs:/home/sdb1/.config/guix/current/bin:/home/sdb1/.guix-profile/bin:/home/sdb1/.guix-profile/sbin:/run/current-system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin

<sdb> sdb1@antelope ~/guix$ guix package -u git 
<sdb> The following package will be upgraded:
<sdb>    git:send-email 2.17.1 → 2.18.0
/gnu/store/pvj35w3xlfvxdw3gljxxba2xjm2v7958-git-2.18.0-send-email
<sdb> but after completion:
<sdb> sdb1@antelope ~$ git --version
<sdb> git version 2.17.1
<sdb> the store item referenced only has the binary "git-send-email"
<sdb> sdb1@antelope ~$ ls
/gnu/store/pvj35w3xlfvxdw3gljxxba2xjm2v7958-git-2.18.0-send-email/libexec/git-core/
<sdb> git-send-email        .git-send-email-real  

sdb1@antelope ~/guix$ which git
/home/sdb1/.guix-profile/bin/git

<sdb> sdb1@antelope ~$ ls -l .guix-profile/bin/git
<sdb> lrwxrwxrwx 5 root root 62  1 jan  1970 .guix-profile/bin/git ->
/gnu/store/hkfz9sxs1yjdrlvk39r0rxcsj527p16k-git-2.17.1/bin/git
<sdb> even though guix package -l says it should be 2.18:
<sdb> Generation 5 jul 19 2018 12:14:42 (current)
<sdb>  + git 2.18.0 send-email
/gnu/store/pvj35w3xlfvxdw3gljxxba2xjm2v7958-git-2.18.0-send-email
<sdb>  - git 2.17.1 send-email
/gnu/store/ah77q40a2nrmgw7qnqcacyppl41xps5i-git-2.17.1-send-email
<sdb> maybe the problem is that I installed "git:send-email" but updated
"git". The bug is that guix proceedes to NOT do the right thing instead
of giving me an error

fails to do the right thing (updating the underlying git-package):
sdb1@antelope ~$ guix package -r git -i git:send-email
"The following package will be upgraded:
   git:send-email	2.18.0 →
2.18.0	/gnu/store/pvj35w3xlfvxdw3gljxxba2xjm2v7958-git-2.18.0-send-email

nothing to be done"

but this worked:
sdb1@antelope ~$ guix package -r git -i git
The following package will be installed:
   git	2.18.0	/gnu/store/w9qwlwpfmhkyj6rqk3rvkk1a89vmymqf-git-2.18.0

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://berlin.guixsd.org'...
100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/hh7bs2hz2h0hawq9qsrccvk8pja149hy-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/vynsfjq4mv08x59k2vbmx7hb1jbpppqs-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/sim58vlfdp2zx7alijvkafaldjj83g5r-xdg-desktop-database.drv
   /gnu/store/n8liqny6zz734ichp3w7d766c3nscr38-glib-schemas.drv
   /gnu/store/l5qydihsz0i8q2ki5wknzdl7ykcnayqf-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/biir628353vfbq7ydh558gxc7z1sn5yf-xdg-mime-database.drv
   /gnu/store/9wf0jf75smvldh2z6fplwxqv7gsbfa9q-fonts-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/2mmpdphq5ggj7s9rzfqj1d928fxr53sg-gtk-icon-themes.drv
   /gnu/store/1r5ml5wwpfhv579p6rx2ljmd4dqv18vn-gtk-im-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/ih49xrl1kyfb2rf51inq9gd5fbmfibaf-manual-database.drv
Creating manual page database...
15940 entries processed in 17.5 s

warning: collision encountered:
 
/gnu/store/lk12iv40hr5gm02vc66mbffwlypgx2vp-mesa-17.3.8/lib/libwayland-egl.la
 
/gnu/store/92gviwsrivbrv9s65f7h7g83xjb3ycqd-wayland-1.15.0/lib/libwayland-egl.la
warning: choosing
/gnu/store/lk12iv40hr5gm02vc66mbffwlypgx2vp-mesa-17.3.8/lib/libwayland-egl.la

warning: collision encountered:
 
/gnu/store/lk12iv40hr5gm02vc66mbffwlypgx2vp-mesa-17.3.8/lib/pkgconfig/wayland-egl.pc
 
/gnu/store/92gviwsrivbrv9s65f7h7g83xjb3ycqd-wayland-1.15.0/lib/pkgconfig/wayland-egl.pc
warning: choosing
/gnu/store/lk12iv40hr5gm02vc66mbffwlypgx2vp-mesa-17.3.8/lib/pkgconfig/wayland-egl.pc

warning: collision encountered:
 
/gnu/store/nq42qbl3rsazn9bgdxsahadg8a5mcjwn-xdg-desktop-database/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
 
/gnu/store/mkkxsw4q4qla3q4yhc7w00z366jizizx-baobab-3.28.0/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
warning: choosing
/gnu/store/nq42qbl3rsazn9bgdxsahadg8a5mcjwn-xdg-desktop-database/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
26 packages in profile
sdb1@antelope ~$ git --version
git version 2.18.0
sdb1@antelope ~$ which git
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/sdb1/guix-profile/bin/git

now I have:
Generation 5	jul 19 2018 12:14:42
 +
git	2.18.0	send-email	/gnu/store/pvj35w3xlfvxdw3gljxxba2xjm2v7958-git-2.18.0-send-email
 -
git	2.17.1	send-email	/gnu/store/ah77q40a2nrmgw7qnqcacyppl41xps5i-git-2.17.1-send-email

Generation 6	jul 19 2018 12:37:30	(current)
 + git	2.18.0	out	/gnu/store/w9qwlwpfmhkyj6rqk3rvkk1a89vmymqf-git-2.18.0

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia